Top 10 Tips for Managing Remote teams.
Managing remote technology teams can provide enormous benefits, not only from cost savings but also the ability to deliver services that would otherwise have not been feasible if they were being managed onshore.
India is now the technology hub of the world with more technical capabilities, certifications and experience than anywhere else. This is important as finding highly technical people with the right skills and attitude can be hard in any country. Choosing the wrong location can be detrimental to the success of going offshore. Choosing the wrong partner to do it with and the way you operate can reverse the benefits initially envisioned and slow down and increase costs.
To be successful in running offshore teams these are the top 10 tips to follow.
- Share your vision, not only your company's vision but also the vision for the product/service you are managing so they can buy into it and the benefit their work will have on your vision for the business and its customers/community.
- Get the right people. At Patona we do this by ensuring our people are not just the best technology, they also have the drive to succeed, work well with others and a great work attitude. Our extensive vetting processes, focus on training, recognition, benefits and a great work environment ensures not only we get the best talent but we also keep them.
- Make them part of your team and your company. This will have a huge benefit in their dedication to seeing you meet your goals.
- Don't micromanage, it's too hard to do that from afar. Having a team of people that are highly organised with strong technical capabilities means you don’t need to, its the only way it will work.
- Over-communicate, talk regularly, have team meetings and one on ones.
- Use tools that make it easy to communicate no matter where you are this can be slack, zoom, combined management tools such as Jira, confluence, backlog or the many others out there.
- Pay above the industry average to attract the best talent.
- Flexible working hours from home or in the office if possible
- Visit regularly when and where possible and if you can bring them to you so they can experience your culture, work environment and way of doing things.
- Finally, choose the right strategic partner to do this with that shares your values and ideally has a presence to your operations.
We hope this helps you!